Bringing Play by Mail Gaming to the Web

Forums

Canterbury Gamers News :: Forums :: CGN Games :: CGN Roleplay Games :: Restoration England

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Restoration - The Future
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: Dave C, PaulC, JonL, Andy Scott, Raydifarrell, Seany K
Author Post
Seany K
Thu Jul 31 2014, 09:42AM
Registered Member #262
Dear All,
As you may have seen, Jon is bringing TPT to an end. Although this does not directly cause an impact to this game, it does however leave Restoration as the only live game on the CGN website.
I am willing to accept more players but this can only carry on if the website continues!!
As you can see on the top right of the site, there is a PayPal link. Unless we all as players are willing to contribute a couple of pound a year, this site will fold and, most likely this game will go the way of so many other En Garde games.
It costs £60 per year to run the site - that equates to £3 per player at the moment or down to £2 should we add another 10 players.
Please let me know your thoughts about the game (continuing/joining) and please click on the 'Donate' button if you want the site to continue.

- Seany K
Andy Scott
Thu Jul 31 2014, 12:46PM
Andy Scott
Registered Member #23
I for one am happy to pay £3 a year. Far happier in fact then forcing another 10 players in which then burns the GM out quicker! I have no issue with charging people to play although we might need to keep it voluntary for legal reasons! However not to put too fine a point on it, I don't wish to donate the money until I KNOW the site is going to survive. So a bit of a chicken and egg problem but if enough others commit then I will donate if that makes sense

Playing Devils advocate here, I wonder whether the possibility exists of reducing the costs of the site by reducing it capabilities. In other words is there stuff that is being paid for that we don't use any more?
I'm not saying there is, just don't overlook the possibility!

Seany K
Thu Jul 31 2014, 01:22PM
Registered Member #262
Fully understand about not wanting to make the donation unless we believe there is enough interest.
20-30 players would be my maximum Andy; I'm happy that I won't keel over in the near future. In fact it can help (for example this month there was a lot of training and not much else so a very difficult month to think of things to write - a few more players, mayhap a few more events).

I'm sure Dave will be able to advise on the possibility of reducing the hosting charge. Seems about standard to me @ £60 but he da man...
Manu
Thu Jul 31 2014, 01:57PM
Registered Member #267
Well, I donated mid May and it did not move much since that date.
To me the topic should be broader than Restoration but to the full CGN website.
I feel that less people are coming on the site (but was surprised by people showing up on a very short notice for the World Cup contest) so a lead with the re-start of Rokugan could be a good idea.
Otherwise, I'm not sure that one game (here Restoration but it could be any game) is strong enough to gather the critical mass of enough players to support the site.
Is there any lighter game that a "casual" GM could handle. I love PBEM but it's demanding. As I stated before, I'm not good enough to run a pbem game in English.
GavinP
Thu Jul 31 2014, 08:48PM
Registered Member #280
I'm more than happy to chuck a tenner in the pot and I'm happy to write too. Btw Sean, did you get my stuff yes?
Dave C
Fri Aug 01 2014, 06:39AM
Webmaster

Registered Member #1
Andy I will get round to looking at the cost of the site and seeing if it can be reduced when at the next renewal, which isn't until April next year now.

Unfortunately this has all arrived at a busy time for me, see the news post.

Manu - I did post on Facebook about the Worldcup game which is why some people came to the site for it. Similiar games to that are quite fun. Other games could be fun as well, so if you are interested in running something take a look at some of the following games:
Sopwith (Which has run on the site)
Railway Rivals/Ticket to ride
Roborally (Which has run in the past)
Diploamcy (Which has run in the past)

I'm sure that others may have advice, generally if you want something simple then look at the boardgames.
Andrew
Fri Aug 01 2014, 06:47AM
Registered Member #32
Is there a way to donate other than Paypal?
Dave C
Fri Aug 01 2014, 09:00AM
Webmaster

Registered Member #1
Happy for money to be passed along. I'm not going to Canterbury for a while, but I'm sure someone could pass anything along.
SteveS
Fri Aug 01 2014, 01:57PM
Supersuttie
Registered Member #171
I am happy to run a new sopwith game, had thought about changing it slightly and using the Starwars version of wings of war and either doing just all in battles as well as team battles if this would help generate interest in the site and help keep it going
Mark Cowper
Fri Aug 01 2014, 03:49PM
Registered Member #188
I am happy to contribute whatever we decide. I usually donate £10 a year, as it seems cheap for the amount of fun I have, and is only about 2.5 pints in Farnborough nowadays (sigh)
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF